Thursday, October 12, 2006

Proposal

Context and Concept

For this project my plan is to research how to design and implement a unique user interface for 3D facial animation. The interface will rely on easy to use controls and graphical representation to enable easy and quick animation without the need for complicated lists of sliders. I will also look into modeling for animation and explore subjects such as edge loop modeling and polygon facial topology suitable for animation.

This knowledge will enable me to provide animators with a facial rig that will animate with quick and intuitive controls within a production pipeline.

Theory for Research

The main part of my research will be spent exploring the technical aspects and limitations of Maya. The main aim is to provide an animator an extremely fast and easy way of tackling facial animation. I will be exploring how to use standard blendshape controls from the channel box and converting them into graphical and interactive representation using Nurbs curves. For example; a mouth shaped curve when moved will have a direct influence of the mouth of the character.

I will also be looking into the modeling limitations of rigging and how to model a character that will deform well and cope with the huge range of extreme emotions the face has.

My written research essay will be based on human emotion and how the human face is used as the most advanced communication tool in the world. The face is such a dynamic canvas and a powerful way to channel non-verbal communication. I will be researching why the face is so expressive and how it is used to its full effect. This will help me explore not only technical emotions a facial rig will need to be robust, but emotional attributes such as micro expressions that will take my animations to the next level.

During the whole process I will also be running a public web log that will enable me to obtain feedback from peers and professionals. The address is below:

http://facialanimation.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home